By a.R.a.S - Bodrum/Turkey 2010

Monday, January 10, 2011

Never say never

Year: 2005
Place: Bilkent University, Ankara -TURKEY
Time of Death: Tuesdays and Thursdays
Reasons of Death: 1. Social and Political Philosophy Class
      2. William Wringe Ph.D

And here I learn once again that I should NEVER say NEVER!
Back in college, I just didn't hate philosophy, I .......!!!!
There must have been a better adjective that would describe my feelings towards philosophy but none of the dictionaries I had looked at had what I was looking for. But before it was too late, I have become passionate about philosophy, (quick footnote here, I don't know the answers to 
why?
when?
how?
questions, so don't even bother asking.) 
and now I want to read all those books once again.

- Rousseau's The Social Contract
- Hobbes' Leviathan
- Cicero's Republic
- John Stuart Mill's On liberty (I remember that this book was my favorite.)
- Plato's Apology 
- and at least 3 more books from 2 other different philosophers.
  
Below is a passage written by Gareth Southwell, from his book "Words of Wisdom". 

"Man was born free, and everywhere he is in chains"
                                                  Jean-Jacques Rousseau 1712-1778

History may be viewed as progress or decline (well, also as cyclical, unchanging or chaotic, I suppose, but admitting that robs me of a neat opening). Religions and myths picture a Golden Age of innocence, peace, and goodness from which we have fallen; science favours progress, a long hard slog out of primitive slime towards the distant lights of reason and civilization. Rousseau was in the former camp: originally a peaceful, self-reliant and relatively solitary individual, a 'noble savage' who endured hardship for the sake of freedom, man has been morally corrupted by civilization, which forces us to live in uncomfortable proximity to our neighbours, jealously guarding the comfort and possessions that we have exchanged for true liberty. Consider, he said, the caged animal that will rather crack its head against the bars trying to escape than remain in incarcerated ease: this is the instinct that man subdues, to the detriment of his true nature.


Typing at my laptop, sipping tea, and occasionally wondering whether I can justify an Apple iPad as a work-related expense, I consider Rousseau's point: it's true, I have never caught or grown my own food, mended a roof, or fought off an intruder. However, though technological progress distances us from life's sobering realities, and smothers us with over-indulgent comforts (who really needs a six-blade battery-powered wet razor?), where would we be without penicillin, or the telephone, or the countless benefits that come with the increase in knowledge that civilization fosters?


Technology is a double-edged sword, but whatever our problems, to hark back to a rose-tinted heyday seems ill-conceived: as Pandora discovered, once you let things out of the box, it's difficult to get them back in. Rather than turning our back on modern civilization altogether, wouldn't we be better employed turning its acquired knowledge to our advantage? 'Progress' may seem overwhelming at times, but it's surely now a problem solved by born-again ignorance.

What do YOU think? 
Define ignorance.
How ignorant can YOU be sometimes?

L.O.V.E.
a.R.a.S

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you did not write my name as a reason of death :)And I will endeavour to teach at least one of the texts you have listed next semester :) AMT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ann-Marie, your name could never be on that list ;) If you accept quests in your class, I would love to attend one day in the future ;D
    A comparison between Leviathan and Republic would be interesting while learning about the old civilizations and the "could've, would've, should've s"

    ReplyDelete